Saturday, July 18, 2009

Losing Grace


I can't get this image out of my mind. It was a provocative photo essay entitled “Fallen Princesses” featuring a gritty look at the Disney Princesses facing current day problems.

This one is Rupunzel. She is apparently suffering from the effects of chemotherapy. I saw it a few days ago and have not been able to shake the image or stop thinking about our own "Rapunzel", Grace.

Here she is, literally days before a cancer diagnosis.

[Grace holding Meagan]

It was two years ago now, August 1st. The morning bright and sunny as I moved into my new house and almost immediately found out that Grace had lost her battle with cancer at 17 early in the morning. Unfortuantly, it was not a quiet peaceful end, but more of a shockingly real event that was her last.



To say she was my husband’s goddaughter and my daughter’s godmother, doesn’t seem to do justice to the bond we all had with her.

[Grace holding Meagan]


She was always a vibrant part of the family. She was lively and energetic, silly and funny, smart and determined. She fought a hard battle against cancer, encompassing all of her teen years in a different kind of teen-angst than her friends were experiencing.



We miss her terribly but see her everywhere. She is present in my garden as the mint we used to joke about in her garden takes over the entire north side of mine. She is visible in the polka dots that keep decorating parts of my house, almost by accident.


She is everywhere and nowhere all at once.

9 comments:

Maria @BOREDmommy on July 30, 2009 at 4:26 PM said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Heartbreaking.

Susan on July 30, 2009 at 4:30 PM said...

Thank you for sharing! What a wonderful girl.

designHER Momma on July 30, 2009 at 4:30 PM said...

I am so very sorry - there are no right words.

Jen Peterson on July 30, 2009 at 5:09 PM said...

So sorry for your loss. What a fantastic spirit.

Elizabeth @claritychaos on July 30, 2009 at 6:41 PM said...

I am so sorry for your loss.

averygoodyear on July 30, 2009 at 7:18 PM said...

She is just lovely. I'm so sorry to hear that she is gone.

Cerena Hammond on July 30, 2009 at 7:30 PM said...

Grace would have loved this post. I remember whenever I saw her in the hospital, she always had the amazing smile or hers that I miss so much. This is just beautiful, thank you for sharing it. <3

Anonymous said...

This was a beautiful tribute to Grace. Seeing her again brought me back to the tears I felt that August day. She was a great girl and I too am glad that she touched my life. M

Liza Medina said...

Wonderfully expressed, Jen. For those of you who didn't know her, she was pure magic-- her smile and laughter was contagious, she was so incredibly smart and had a razor sharp wit, and most importantly, she had an enormous heart. She fought bravely against her illness and raged against those who said she could not live her life her way. This is a beautiful tribute to our beautiful girl. Thank you for writing it. <3

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I LOVE comments!

Terms of Use

All Rights Reserved. All information and pictures on this website are copyrighted. To use any pictures or information a link and credit must be provided.