Monday, May 18, 2009

Dietary Makeovers


In our effort to remove artificial food colors from our diets (read why here) I have been making more things from scratch. Since I am making things from scratch, I have the opportunity to make-over a few of our foods to increase the nutrition. Slipping veggies and fruits into unsuspecting foods isn’t a new thing but I offer some of my newly made-over foods; foods that are big hits even with my pickiest eater.


Flourless Chocolate Cake (gluten free)
19 oz. can of garbanzo beans ( or white beans / chic peas etc.)
¾ cup sugar
1 ½ c chocolate chips melted
4 eggs
½ tsp baking powder
Blend in food processor or blender until super smooth.
Bake at 350 for 40 minutes . High in fiber and protein.

Pumpkin Pie Pancakes
Organic Pancake Mix (Either complete or add milk and egg kind)
½ C pumpkin canned puree
Pumpkin pie spice to taste
¼ c Wheat germ
Mix all ingredients together and make pancakes as usual.

Non-Foodcoloring Ice-Pops
V-8 Fusion Fruit and Vegetable Juice (we use the Acai one)
Pour juice in ice-pop molds and freeze.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG - I cant wait to make that cake and eat the whole thing myself...ya know, since its good for me!!!
-KS

Janice on May 21, 2009 at 9:05 PM said...

I can't wait to try this. I have high hopes that my kids will like it and I will be so happy that they are eating a healthy dessert!

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I LOVE comments!

Terms of Use

All Rights Reserved. All information and pictures on this website are copyrighted. To use any pictures or information a link and credit must be provided.