Monday, August 31, 2009

Out of My Comfort Zone



If I could draw my theoretical "comfort zone" as a circle on the ground-- I'd be standing atleast 15 feet away from it as I write this post.

I can do a lot of things, and don't have much reserve, restraint, or fear when it comes to some things. I mean I started a not-for-profit corporation this past year with no knowledge of how to do it! TV interviews in my home with little warning--no problem! Come on...I can tackle almost anything with an I-Can-Do-It attitude followed quickly by the I-Will-Do-An-Awesome-Job mantra.

So WHY-- has my latest venture turning me into a cold-footed, stomach-aching-bordering-on-nausea, quick-where's-the-Xanax kinda' girl?

I decided after a good deal of procrastination to start Karate. I will not start anything without knowing full well I will finish it meaning I am committed to getting a Black Belt. ( And at this point-- I don't even HAVE a belt! My son ranks higher than me!)

I finally went for my first one-on-one lesson and did well (I Guess-- that's what they told me)....but talk about UNCOMFORTABLE! I don't know what it is...the mirrors? the other people watching my uncoordinated self trying to look all stealth? the need to say "Hi--ya!", I could list more and more but you get the idea.

So here it is Monday morning which means I have my first official group class tonight-- a good 10 hours from now. However, my stomach is queasy and I'd love to come up with a really believable reason that I can't go tonight. Kind of like I do with dentist appointments.

I think I would actually rather a root canal....but quitting: not an option. A self imposed limitation that may drive me to drink.

3 comments:

Elizabeth @claritychaos on August 31, 2009 at 6:50 PM said...

Good for you for trying something new as an adult. That is not an easy task. You're setting an awesome example for your kids, and for other adults. It is never too late to try something new, but it is hard to put ourselves out there, isn't it?

Good luck to you. And if you can find it (library?) you should check out the (kids) book "Whitewater Scrubs" by Jamie McEwan. A story with a great lesson for kids and parents alike.

Mandy on September 5, 2009 at 1:59 PM said...

Congrats on stepping out of your comfort zone! That is how you will really grow! Love your blog!

Jess on September 5, 2009 at 3:51 PM said...

so happy to have found your blog (saw it on Everything Mom) Will be back often!

http://jessicakenenske.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I LOVE comments!

Terms of Use

All Rights Reserved. All information and pictures on this website are copyrighted. To use any pictures or information a link and credit must be provided.