Thursday, August 27, 2009

Rite of Passage


All I have heard for weeks--months even--is how she wants her ears pierced. Earing have been the topic of conversations and crayon drawings.


We agreed for her 5th birthday-next week she could get them. But apparently it was causing her some stress both the waiting and the anticipating the unknown.

So last night, at bedtime nonetheless, we jumped in the car and ran to the mall to do it and put all the anxiety to rest. She ran skipping into the mall. She couldn't have jumped into that chair any faster.
She knew what to expect and was giddy and happy...until....



They did the first ear.


Well, Im sure the ENTIRE mall heard my baby screaming and crying. And then she began to refuse to get the other ear done. LOUDLY....

So inevitably I had to hold her on my lap, bracing her head still against my chest so the next ear could be finished while I got the look of death from passers-by who were thinking "My GOD, what kind of mother drags her unwilling daughter to the mall at 8:30 at night to get her ears pierced --AGAINST HER WILL!!!!!"

There is something about me and lousy parenting moments at this mall--(remember when I lost Michael? ) Here she is a good 10 minutes after the trauma- red puffy eyes and still remnants of tears.


I was SURE CPS would arrive at any minute.


Happily, Cold Stone Creamery was next door and was able to restore my red puffy faced daughter to her former happy self. The power of ice cream is an amazing thing.

She strutted out of the mall, hair tucked behind her ears so everyone could see--and just in case they couldn't-- she swung her head from side to side as she walked proudly out of the mall way after her bedtime.

2 comments:

Nichole "Nikki" Warren on August 27, 2009 at 9:56 AM said...

Well hopefully she'll let you clean them, etc. My daughter got her's done when she was 4/5. Her experience was very much like your daughters. She wanted them done, until that first one was done.

However, she got over sensitive and would not allow to properly care for them, turning them cleaning etc. She just didn't want them touch.

In the end they got infected and we had no choice to remove them, thus the holes closed up, and money was out the window for us.

I sincerely hope your daughter will not be that way!

Bobbi on August 30, 2009 at 7:58 PM said...

LOL....that brought back memories of when I got my ears pierced! I got one done and it was a fight to get the other done!

Maggie got hers done when she turned 3. She and her dad went to the mall one day and had it done. She refuses to change hers but so far we have had no problems!

Congrats to your daughter....i'm sure she is probably feeling pretty proud of herself! <3

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I LOVE comments!

Terms of Use

All Rights Reserved. All information and pictures on this website are copyrighted. To use any pictures or information a link and credit must be provided.