Friday, November 20, 2009

Advice I Really Need to Follow-- My Own


I must be a moron or something.

I give tons of advice to my kids and my husband, and friends and family regarding health. I am fairly well read on many of the new topics of improving health and love to read up on it. On any given day in my house you will hear me doling out information to my kids about the importance of fiber in their diet. I quote research studies to anyone who will listen about the ill effects of artificial food coloring and some preservatives. I explain to my kids the need to eat a wide variety of colors in vegetables and fruits.

Then there are the vitamins. Oh the vitamins. My kids currently take a wide variety of vitmains and I have happily schooled them in each of their benefits. They take 600 mg of Omega 3s, 500 mg of Vitamin D, an organic multivitamin, a C supplement,and Echinacea.


My husband is subject to my serving up of a mens multivitamin, Omega 3s, Vitamin D, and an antioxident supplement.

And of course due to all of this diligence on my part- they are pretty healthy despite it being flu season.

Here's where I become a moron. I dont take any vitamins. I dont eat balanced meals. I actually do quite the opposite. My diet for the better part of the past two weeks has been based on Halloween candy and large amounts of Coke (the soda --Im not THAT bad people!) There have been very infrequent actual meals for me and I might not even recognize a vegetable at this point if one dropped on my head. And lets not mention the reemergence of the cigarettes.....

The result of my self neglect? I have come down with shingles for a fourth time, and this time it is in my eye. I am in intense pain and have an overwhelming concern that if it spreads to my cornea, I could lose my sight in that eye. Fantastic.

So here I sit loaded up on Vicodin so I can manage the nerve pain and now need to listen to some of my own advice. Seems like it should be so easy right?

Then WHY isnt it?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's the curse of being a mom, you spend so much time looking after everyone else that you forget to take care of yourself. I think we all do it.
I hope you get better soon.

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I LOVE comments!

Terms of Use

All Rights Reserved. All information and pictures on this website are copyrighted. To use any pictures or information a link and credit must be provided.