Thursday, June 17, 2010

Chicken Auto Watering System


I love DIY projects and was more than excited to tackle my latest one. I wanted to make a water system for my chickens that would basically take relying on me out of the equation.


This system keeps water super clean and refills as needed. In all, I spent about 45$ on this project and it was really easy.


The bucket is connected to a low flow adapter to the garden hose, reducing the psi. Inside the bucket is a float flow regulator- like the kind in toilets; when the float drops, more water is added until it rises again.



The pcv piping holds an additional 2 gallons of water and includes an air vent and overflow as well as two screw off ends for easy cleaning and debris removal.

Super satisfying project and no sooner did I put it into the coop, the chickens figured it right out.

3 comments:

erin on June 17, 2010 at 2:34 PM said...

Hi - I found your awesome blog from BYC. I am trying to make my own chicks a self watering thing. What kind of nipples did you use? The O-ring kind or the other kind? Also - where did you get them? It is super awesome. Your blog is what I envision for my own.....www.abirdandabean.blogspot.com
Check me out. :)
Do you have a similar fancy way to feed the chickens? I am going on vaca soon and want to make sure someone can come and check on mine once every few days - but not every day. Any ideas?

Jenafer on June 17, 2010 at 2:40 PM said...

I used the O ring nipples and bought them from Randall Bukley.
As for feeders I have a 7lb hanging feeder which I am adding a large piece of pvc pipe to to accomodate an additional 5 lbs. This way the girls can be "uncared for" for a week and a half when I go out of town

Anonymous said...

can you fix leaky toilets?!!

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I LOVE comments!

Terms of Use

All Rights Reserved. All information and pictures on this website are copyrighted. To use any pictures or information a link and credit must be provided.